It’s FALL Y’ALL!
It’s the most wonderful time of the year (in my opinion anyway).
My love for autumn goes well beyond the #basic obsession with pumpkin spice lattes and fuzzy boots. I grew up in southern Florida where we only had two seasons: hot and slightly less hot. But every year, on the first day of fall, my mom would crank down our AC, light a roaring fire in the fireplace (yes, we had a fireplace), and have a big party complete with roasted turkey, pumpkin pie, and autumnal treats. Fall was an event in my family, and I still love it like crazy.
Now as a mama myself, I make a fall bucket list every year to ensure we suck the marrow out of every cool, crisp, candlelit day of autumn. Here’s what made the list this year…
Annual Fall Bucket List
- Check out the kid’s corn maze at Wingard’s Market.
- Take a ghost tour at the South Carolina State Museum. (Tuesday evenings in October)
- Try the new maple-sugar cotton candy at the South Carolina State Fair.
- Visit as many pumpkin patches as possible.
- Go apple picking.
- Take pictures in a field of sunflowers. (As of this writing, I know of sunflower fields at Clinton Sease Farms in Lexington, and at the Clemson Extension in Northeast Columbia).
- Visit the scarecrows at the Robert Mills House and Gardens. (Bonus: It’s FREE)
- Go on a hayride at Clinton Sease Farms.
- Go trick-or-treating on Main Street during the Richland Library’s Not-So-Spooky Halloween Stroll.
- Trunk or Treat at the Robert Mills House and Gardens.
- Go to Boo at the Zoo at the Riverbanks Zoo and Garden.
- Have a backyard bonfire and make smores.
- Paint some pumpkins (a safer alternative to carving with a toddler).
- Build a spooky cookie-house (Trader Joes has adorable ones)!