Bump Diaries :: Month 8


bump diariesWelcome to Bump Diaries – a new series on Columbia SC Moms Blog! One of our contributors is expecting, and here she will share her journey – the good AND the ugly – with all of you. It is sort of like an homage to the original mommy blog where we provide a peek into the life of a {pregnant} mom.

I had every intention of sharing with you my Baby Boy’s hipster-esque nursery today. I wanted to show off the super cute art work adorning his walls and the retro style curtains his Grandma found. I really wanted his room to be done this month so I could relax a little. Well, you know what they say:

life quote

Month 8 has been a little crazy. As I’ve shared, this pregnancy has been rough health wise. After experiencing all day morning sickness for most of trimesters 1 and 2, I thought my last weeks of pregnancy would be uncomfortable, but not scary.

But around week 35, things turned a little scary…

I began to feel very sick one afternoon as I sat on the couch watching a movie with my 3-year-old. My back was killing me and there was an intense queasiness in my tummy. I wondered if I was experiencing some Braxton Hicks contractions and laid down on my side to try to alleviate the pain.

After a couple of hours I began to worry and called a girlfriend for advice, “Ashleigh, you know your body. If something doesn’t feel right, call your midwife.”

Always trust a mama of four, folks.

After calling my midwife’s office and confirming that I was indeed having contractions less than 5 minutes apart, I headed to the hospital with my husband. On the way to the hospital I downloaded one of those contraction counter apps and was shocked when it said my contractions were coming every two minutes.

I was admitted and immediately taken to Labor and Delivery for observation. For anyone who hasn’t come in preterm to L&D, you are asked to change into a gown and then placed into a hospital bed where a nurse checks your vitals, asks you a series of questions, and then hooks up a monitor to check your contractions. My nurse was shocked to see how strong and often I was contracting. I was given medicine to make the contractions stop.

Along with the medicine to stop contractions, I was given a bag of IV fluids.
Along with the medicine to stop contractions, I was given a bag of IV fluids.

The Tocolytic medicine was given in the form of a shot in my arm. It made me very jumpy and my heart race, so I was also given a pill to calm those effects. The meds did calm my contractions, but as soon as they began wearing off, the contractions came back and I was given another dose.

This was heinous.

I felt very sick and ready to jump out of my skin. Not to mention I was worried about why I was experiencing preterm labor in the first place. After a few hours I was sent home with instructions to take it easy and return if I had more than six contractions in one hour.

This is my "not amused" by the second dose of medicine face.
This is my “not amused by the second dose of medicine” face.

Well, I returned four times in the next couple of weeks. I, as well as the nursing staff, was convinced the baby would come around 37 weeks, which is the target for a “healthy, viable, baby boy.” Apparently Caucasian boys who are born before 37 weeks are statistically more prone to have lung and breathing issues.

I desperately wanted to make 37 weeks, but this time has come and gone and no baby. Contractions yes, baby no.

I have been on partial bed rest since the first episode. Luckily I have a great support system who have been bringing meals and taking care of my daughter. I am so grateful for that. I am so super grateful for the fabulous nurses at Lexington Medical Center who have taken great care of me through every contraction.

Next month, baby time! (Unless he comes early of course)

Did you have a similar experience with your pregnancy? How did month 8 compare for you?

Featured Image Photo credit: jason rust / Foter / CC BY-NC-ND


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here