So, I’m short y’all. I’m a whopping 5 feet and 0 inches.
*Don’t ask me if I’m actually 4’11”. I’m not. I’m almost 5’1”, but I just stick with 5 even.*
Seriously, this is the most annoying question and the only thing about my height that gets me fired up. I’m not lying, I promise.
Sometimes I go through life not even realizing that I’m short compared to most adults, but when I do realize it, I sometimes laugh at the things I do differently due to my height. I am a pretty outspoken person, so I’ve never let a short joke get me down. I enjoy laughing a bit at some of things I do or have realized because of my height.
I hope you enjoy my list of confessions and maybe you can relate!
- I have to use a step stool to get the clothes out of the bottom of my top loader washing machine. I keep a nice fold-able one between my washer and dryer.
- I often have to ask random people to reach stuff for me at stores. Like, WHY IS THAT LAST BOX OF CAKE MIX ON THE VERY TOP SHELF?!
- I have more than once had the same winter jacket as a kid I saw on an elementary playground. With my shortness comes a general small stature. I can easily shop in the kids section for jackets and other clothing.
- I couldn’t drive a car my parents bought for my older sisters to drive when they turned 16 because the seat didn’t go far enough forward. It was the family hand me down car for the new drivers. Now this one I was honestly happy with; that car was NOT cool.
- I’ve gotten interesting looks when shopping for shoes in the kids section. I’m a solid women’s size 5 in shoes, but can wear a 4 in a lot of them. I’m pretty sure people usually think I’m shopping for a child and then look a little confused when I try them on myself.
- My nephews surpassed me in height by the time they were 11. And 4th-5th graders love to stand next to me to and see if they are taller. But, I don’t mind – it’s funny!
- My own child is 4.5 and is on track to be taller than me by the time she’s 10. That’s thanks to her daddy’s genes!
- Those pants that come in “short” sizes are still too long on me. Also, cropped pants are really just full length for me.
- I’ve taped the hem on a borrowed formal dress before to make it the right length. I couldn’t permanently change the hem since it was borrowed, but it worked!
- I sometimes can’t touch in the shallow end of pools. If it’s 5 feet I don’t have clearance to keep my head out of water!