If motherhood had a job description…
Position: Mom, Mother, Mama, Ma
A family is seeking a mom to join their fast-paced start-up team in Columbia, SC. Reporting into societal expectations, the ideal candidate has extensive child and project management experience, with a holistic understanding of psychology and development across both IRL and digital landscapes, from introduction through execution and reporting. The candidate should be highly organized, an excellent communicator, and have a process-oriented mindset, keeping both internal members and external observers informed and on track. Prior education is required. This is an in-office, in-home position. The candidate should be willing and able to dedicate time and attention to raising the next generation with selflessness, empathy, and care.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute communications strategy for the family, including instructional messaging, PR, charitable giving, community service, and social media, to ensure proper implementation and cohesiveness between various initiatives.
- Work in close collaboration with co-parent(s), peers, coaches, schools, teachers, grandparents, babysitters, doctors, and other community members to ensure a consistent brand voice across all markets and programs.
- Expand family initiatives, chores, rules, and product launches using thorough marketing, customer experience, and creative department tactics.
- Research product introductions, meal preparation needs, educational requirements, local activities, family adventure opportunities, and more to attract the target audience and exceed quarterly goals.
- Stay up-to-date on child-rearing developments in the medical, psychological, and educational spaces.
- Support organized education with in-home tools, including but not limited to, proven problem-solving techniques, age-appropriate sensory toys, science-backed empathy-building activities, character-centric interactions, exploratory time, and creative conceptualization.
- Analyze plans and schedules for campaigns, along with creative approaches to help differentiate the family from community competitors.
- Lead development of all family-facing programs and society showroom presence.
- Determine and implement appropriate family strategies with larger community partners.
- Conceptualize and execute promotions, initiatives, launches, reward programs, disciplinary actions, teachable moments, and events to prioritize ongoing growth and success.
- Create and maintain annual family calendars, including educational, extracurricular, health-oriented, social, religious, and community-oriented activities.
- Provide leadership and management to all family members.
- Identify and blend non-traditional tasks and partnerships with the traditional job and gender-role expectations.
- Oversee all press and communications materials and resources, including newsletters, articles, media and key message guides, emails, invitations, text messages, social media messages, and phone calls.
- Spearhead self-development initiatives such as healthy eating, exercising, meditating, parent-only outings, sleeping, podcasting, reading, and writing.
- Balance in-home child-rearing responsibilities with work from home and/or in-office requirements, as deemed necessary.
- Communicate all needs, wants, and expectations in advance, multiple times.
Education and Experience:
- 20+ years of relevant experience in hospitality, event planning, and communications.
- Creative self-starter with strong PR, social media, team building, interior design, operations, and administration background.
- Strong verbal, written, creative, strategic, leadership, and project management skills.
- Background in people and product pitching and management.
- Experience managing a significant budget with an eye towards rapid but sustainable growth.
- Experience in global crisis management and communications.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Proven ability to lead, build relationships, and work effectively in a cross-functional team environment; ability to coach, mentor and develop junior members of the immediate team.
- Culinary expertise is highly regarded.
- Organization and cleanliness is expected.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Multitasking degree required.
- Recommended reading includes: What to Expect When You’re Expecting by Heidi Murkoff, Bringing Up Bébé by Pamela Druckerman, Untamed by Glennon Doyle, Man Enough by Justin Baldoni, and The Whole-Brain Child by Daniel J. Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson.
What would your “mom” job description say?