Last Saturday my family and I decided to try out The Big Mo drive-in movie theater in Monetta.
My oldest son is a very sensitive child and is scared of anything new. Daddy tried to take him to a movie a few months back, but he freaked out and threw a fit before they even made it into the theater, spilling popcorn and drink all over the floor.
We thought the drive-in might be a good option for him. It’s not as scary as a dark, closed in theater. There’s room to run around if he gets antsy. If he started to throw another fit, we could always sit in the car with him and try to talk him through it….or leave right away without having to carry him through a packed lobby or parking lot in hysterics if necessary.
After we arrived at the drive-in and got settled, we decided to get some food from the concession stand. That’s my son started freaking out.
He wanted to get in the car and close the back hatch. He was crying and telling us over and over again “it’s scary”, but never said what scared him. My husband wanted to leave, but I refused. I knew once the movie actually started he would love it. “The Lego Movie” was the feature film and he had been watching legos on YouTube for months.
In the middle of trying to calm him down and explaining there was nothing to be scared of, the movie started. As soon as he saw the characters come to life on the big screen, he immediately jumped out of the car and stayed outside in his chair for the entire movie. He had so much to say, and asked a ton of questions. It was a proud moment.
The Big Mo was just what our family needed to ease my son into the movie theater experience. In fact, we are planning another visit this Friday to see “Muppets Most Wanted” and “The Lego Movie” again.
If you are looking for a family fun night, grab a chair, a blanket, a frisbee, and maybe even close family friends and hit the drive-in. The Big Mo won’t disappoint!
Thinking About Going?
- Admittance is $8 per adult, $4 for kids 4-12, and ages 3 and under are free. The theater only accepts cash, so be sure to stop by the ATM before you arrive.
- Each screen plays TWO movies! Yes, you read that correctly, the admittance price will allow you to see two movies back to back on the same screen. You can’t even see one movie at night for that price in the regular theaters.
- The gates open at 6:30 p.m. and the field was nice and clean.
- All three screens were playing top award winning movies and started promptly at 7:45 p.m.
- There is a small playground at each of their three screens, and my boys really enjoyed playing in the sandy driving paths.
- You can bring your own chairs and sit outside under the stars while watching your favorite flick.
- They also have a large selection of food at reasonable prices. Their hamburgers, hot dogs, popcorn, and nachos were good and they even offer a souvenir cup for $4.75, with $1.00 refills for the rest of the season! (Check out their full concession list and prices here.)
- The Big Mo is located at 5822 Columbia Hwy N, Monetta, SC 29105. Need directions? Click here.
Disclaimer: Columbia SC Moms Blog was not compensated in any way for this post. We just genuinely LOVE this business and wanted to share the word with our wonderful readers.